Headaches can disrupt your day-to-day life, but the good news is you can often manage them at home without medication. Consider these 10 tips to alleviate headache pain and find relief:
- Hydrate – Dehydration can cause a headache or make one worse. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Eat Regularly – Undereating can also cause a headache. Make sure you’re consuming plenty of calories.
- Get Adequate Sleep – Everyone’s sleep needs are different, but on average, strive for 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Dim the Lights – Bright lights, even from your computer screen, can cause headaches. Try covering your windows and wearing sunglasses outdoors.
- Ease Pressure on Your Scalp or Head – Headaches are often caused by wearing a ponytail, hat or headband. If you’re wearing one of these items, relieve pressure by removing it.
- Drink Caffeine – Sipping on beverages that contain caffeine, such as tea or coffee, may provide relief.
- Practice Relaxation – When you’re stressed or overwhelmed, take a break. Learning how to relax can help you manage pain.
- Soothe Pain with a Cold Compress – Applying a cold compress to your neck or head may help reduce symptoms.
- Try Massage – Massage your forehead, neck and temples to ease tension.
- Avoid Strong Smells – Some people develop headaches when exposed to strong odors, like perfumes and cleaning products. Minimize exposure to these smells.
Contact your healthcare provider if your headache is more severe than usual and doesn’t improve with natural remedies or over-the-counter medications.