Are you struggling to stay on track with your exercise goals? Studies show working out with a buddy can help you stick with it. Read on to learn six benefits of finding an accountability partner for physical activity.
- Consistency: Set a workout schedule and tell a friend to meet you. When you know you’re going to meet someone to exercise, you’re more likely to show up regularly.
- Emotional Support: Exercising with a friend provides opportunities to interact and catch up on each other’s lives. It’s also a great time to seek advice or support.
- Motivation: It’s easier to stick with a workout when you have someone who encourages and supports you.
- Friendly Competition: Many people are motivated by a little competition. You’ll also obtain better results when you challenge yourself to work harder.
- Variety: When you exercise alone, it’s easy to get in the habit of completing the same routine. A buddy can bring fresh ideas, making your workouts more enjoyable.
- Safety: Working out with a partner can enhance your safety. If you exercise outside, there’s safety in numbers and it’s good to have a friend nearby if you fall or twist an ankle. If you’re weightlifting, your buddy can also spot you and provide assistance.