We all know eating fast food on a regular basis can be tough on your waistline and overall health, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be an option once in a while. When you’re on the go and need a bite, consider these tips from our registered dietitians:
- Order the smallest option, split with someone or order off the children’s menu. Whether it’s a burger or an order of fries, choosing a smaller size can save loads of calories.
- Go grilled. When given the option, always choose grilled or roasted foods over fried or breaded foods.
- Choose a healthier side dish. Many restaurants offer healthier side options. Consider a side salad, baked potato or broth-based soup.
- Opt for water. Want to cut unnecessary calories and sugar from your meal? Skip the soda. Water has zero calories and provides many health benefits.
- Hold the mayo. Pay attention to which condiments and toppings are added to your food and request all sauces and salad dressings on the side. Exchanging mayonnaise for mustard or your creamy dressing for a vinaigrette can help you in the long run.