Improving Your Mental Health This Winter
Shorter days, cold weather and the COVID-19 pandemic can lead many people to feel down in these winter months. Here are a few tips to help fight off the ‘winter blues:’
- Keep blinds open and lights on during daylight hours.
- Maintain a consistent sleep schedule.
- Bring greenery indoors with house plants.
- Connect with friends and family virtually.
- Exercise, stretch and move around.
- Try to go outside and get some fresh air at least once a day.
- Get cozy with warm clothing, warm snacks and hot drinks.
- Try Bright Light Therapy.
- Maintain a balanced diet and be sure to hydrate.
- If you are experiencing more severe symptoms that are impacting your functioning, like those in Major Depressive Order with Seasonal Pattern (formerly known as Seasonal Affective Disorder), talk to your healthcare provider.