We are heading into the most fabulous time of the year – when gardens and farms are producing the most delicious fresh harvests. A buzzword, or phrase, you may have heard lately is ‘eating a plant-based diet.’ If this is something you’ve considered, now is the perfect time to begin increasing your daily intake of vegetables. There are so many reasons to eat foods in season.
Did you know seasonal produce:
- Saves you money by purchasing foods at their peak availability.
- Contains more nutrients since it’s immediately ready for purchase after its harvested. Much of our produce at retail stores is transported many miles after being picked too early. For this reason, local produce often has less preservatives since it’s picked and ready for immediate purchase.
- Adds variety to your diet as you adjust your purchases based on what’s available.
- Tastes better! What more could you want than foods grown at their ideal season, fresh from the ground to your table.
- Supports local farmers and businesses. Batesville has and is surrounded by many farms, farmers’ markets, CSAs and local stares that carry local farm-fresh produce. Instead of money going towards large corporate businesses, you can keep money in your local community by helping it prosper and preserving our rural community and farms.
An effortless way to shop for locally grown/raised food is to visit hoosier.localfoodmarketplace.com. Order and pay online and then pick your groceries up at a local store, such as Dottie’s Bulk Food right in Batesville!